From global phenomenon to highly sought-after “secret”, Le Dîner en Blanc will take over one of Houston’s public spaces on May 30, 2015 for the first ever refined pop-up epicurean event.
Over 100,000 foodies and cultural enthusiasts around the world have already embraced this unique event. As stated very eloquently by the New York Times: “There are picnics and there are PICNICS”. This très chic PICNIC is equal parts mystery tour, pop-up feast and je ne sais quoi! Launched in Paris more than 25 years ago by François Pasquier and a handful of friends, Dîner en Blanc Paris now attracts nearly 15,000 people each year. What began as a “friends and word-of-mouth only” event has grown into an international epicurean sensation in over 50 cities in more than 20 countries. While the technology behind the event may have changed over the years, the principles fueling this fantastic event have not: guests continue to gather at a secret location for the sole purpose of sharing a gourmet meal with good friends in one of their city’s most beautiful locations.
“We felt Houston was primed for such a dazzling event as an increase of interest in fine living has been noted over the years,” says Tracey Burrell, co-host of Le Dîner en Blanc – Houston, who has been working in the event planning industry for over 10 years and hopes to make this very first edition a success that will pave the way towards establishing a long-standing tradition.
In essence, Le Dîner en Blanc promotes friendship, elegance and gallantry. Over the course of the evening, the guests enhance the function and value of one of their city’s signature public spaces by participating in the unexpected. “Houston’s culture is a reflection of the core values of Le Dîner en Blanc,” say Sandy Safi and Aymeric Pasquier, Cofounders of Dîner en Blanc International. “We feel that this first edition will be a true success in bringing Houstonians together and highlighting the beauty of their city.”
To maintain its uniqueness as well as staying true to tradition of Dîner en Blanc, guests must observe certain requirements and follow a few key rules:
- To participate in this first edition: guests must be invited via the hosts’ network or participating partners or get on waiting list via the official website: houston.dinerenblanc.info/register, by May 22, 2015.
- Once confirmed, each guest’s participation becomes mandatory, regardless of weather conditions.
- Dress code: elegant and white only. Originality is encouraged as long as it is stylish and tasteful.
- Table setting: all white!
- To ensure that the location venue is kept secret until last minute, guests meet at assigned departure points and are escorted on charter bus by Dîner en Blanc volunteers.
- In order to leave the event location as clean as when they arrived, guests are required to leave with all their belongings, leftovers and litter.
Guests must bring:
- A table, two (white) chairs, white tablecloth.
- A picnic basket comprising fine food and proper stemware and white dinnerware.
- An option to pre-order champagne or wine, which can be picked up at the site. Guests wishing to do so must reserve online through Dîner en Blanc website during the initial ticket registration. Beer and hard liquor are prohibited.
- An option to pre-order food, which can be picked up at the site, will be available for those who do not wish to pack their own picnic baskets. Guests wishing to do so must reserve online through Dîner en Blanc website during the initial ticket registration.
For full details on the rules and regulations, please visit the official website at international.dinerenblanc.info/about.
Information provided by Fire and Desire Events.