Thousands toasted award-winning wines and tasted outstanding food from 91 distinguished Houston restaurants, chefs and caterers to celebrate the 2015 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
In November, the International Wine Competition boasted 2,578 entries, including wines from 43 Texas wineries and 16 different countries. Medals were awarded to 2,221 wines by 20 panels of judges, consisting of wine experts, collectors and knowledgeable consumers. The champion wines are:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Rombauer Vineyards Diamond Selection Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley, California 2010
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – Charles-Le-Bel, Brut, Champagne, France NV>
- Top Texas Wine – Driftwood Estate Winery Longhorn Red, Texas 2012
- Top Sparkling Wine – Ricossa Winery Moscato d’Asti, Italy 2013
- Top White Wine – McManis Family Vineyards Viognier, River Junction, California 2013
- Top Red Wine – Antinori Guado Al Tasso, Bolgheri DOC Supierore, Italy 2011
- Top Region Wine – Shirvington Cabernet Sauvignon, McLaren Vale, Australia 2010
- Top Sweet Wine – Yalumba Antique Tawny, Southeastern Australia, NV
- Top Value Wine – Fancy Pants Red Blend, California 2012
Best Bites competition contenders presented their unique dishes to an eager audience. The 2015 Best Bites winners are:
Outstanding Showmanship Award
Grand Champion – Mister French’s
Reserve Grand Champion – Davis St. at Hermann Park
Popular Choice Award
Grand Champion – Royers Round Top Cafe
Reserve Grand Champion – Davis St. @ Hermann Park
Tasty Traditions Award
Grand Champion – Joyce’s Seafood & Steaks, white chocolate bread pudding
Reserve Grand Champion – Taste of Texas, Certified Angus Beef® tenderloin
Trailblazing Appetizer/Entrée Award
Grand Champion – Davis St. at Hermann Park, crispy Thai shrimp
Reserve Grand Champion (tie) – Brennan’s of Houston, turtle soup, and Brio Tuscan Grille, crab cakes
Two-Stepping Bread/Cheese/Dessert Award
Grand Champion – Mostly Chocolate & Catering, goat cheese truffle
Reserve Grand Champion – Joyce’s Seafood & Steaks, white chocolate bread pudding
Rookie Award – SWEET, mini pies
All champion wines will be auctioned at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction, Sunday, March 1, 2015.
A selection of the champion wines will be available for tasting, by the glass and bottle, throughout the run of the Show, March 3 through 22, in the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Garden, located in Carruth Plaza. Times are Monday through Thursday, 4 to 11 p.m.; Fridays, 4 p.m. to midnight; Saturdays, 11 a.m. to midnight; and Sundays, noon to 10 p.m. For more information on event times, visit http://www.rodeohouston.com/Events/RodeoUncorked.aspx. The 2015 Show will run March 3 – 22.
Check out a quick video recap of Best Bites 2015 from Urban Swank:
Information provided by Tasha Coney of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.