Champion wines were awarded from thousands of wines at the 2016 Rodeo Uncorked!® International Wine Competition, held Nov. 14 – 15, 2015, at NRG Center.
The competition judging boasted nearly 2,500 entries from approximately 20 different countries, including Chile, Croatia, France, New Zealand and Portugal. The competition also received 181 entries from the 2016 featured region, The Pacific Northwest, which includes wine-making regions of Washington, Oregon, Idaho and British Columbia. Texas wineries alone represented 267 entries.
The 2016 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo International Wine Competition champions are:
- Grand Champion Best of Show – Orin Swift Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon, Mercury Head, Napa Valley, 2013
- Reserve Grand Champion Best of Show – B.R. Cohn Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Olive Hill Estate, Sonoma Valley, 2013
- Top Texas Wine – Pedernales Cellars Viognier, Texas, 2014
- Top Sparkling Wine – La Gioiosa Prosecco Superiore DOCG, Valdobbiadene, NV
- Top White Wine – B.R. Cohn Winery Chardonnay, Sangiacomo Vineyard, Carneros, 2014
- Top Red Wine – Mercer Estates Reserve Cavalie, Horse Heaven Hills, 2012
- Top Region Wine – Mercer Estates Cabernet Sauvignon, Columbia Valley, 2012
- Top Sweet Wine – J. Lohr Late Harvest White Riesling, Arroyo Secco, 2014
- Top Value Wine – Harken Chardonnay, Barrel Fermented, California 2014
- Top All-Around Winery – Sutter Home Family Vineyards
- Top Region Wine Company – Ste. Michelle Wine Estates
- Top Wine Company – Tinchero Family Estates
All champion wines will be auctioned at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Auction and Dinner Sunday, Feb. 28, 2016, and paired with competing dishes from top chefs at the Roundup and Best Bites Competition, Sunday, Feb. 21.
Visitors to the 2016 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo can enjoy a selection of award-winning wines by the glass or bottle at the Rodeo Uncorked! Champion Wine Garden, located in Carruth Plaza at NRG Park. For more information on tickets and events in the Champion Wine Garden, visit rodeohouston.com.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a Section 501(c)(3) charity that benefits youth, supports education, and facilitates better agricultural practices through exhibitions and presentations. For more information, visit rodeohouston.com and connect with RodeoHouston® online via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube for all of the latest news. Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Heritage Partners are NRG, Ford, Miller Lite, Coca-Cola and Mattress Firm. The 2016 Show is scheduled to run March 1 – 20.