This past Sunday we got the opportunity to attend Pastry Chef Rebecca Masson’s Sweet & Savory “ALL MALE REVUE”, benefiting Lucky Dog Rescue. This is the 9th sweet and savory tasting event that she has held for the charity; which has taken in over $150,000 to provide rescue services, vet care, foster care and adoptive placement to stray and abandoned dogs.
The seated dinner was nine courses in all with each course paired perfectly with a signature cocktail, wine, or beer. As each course was presented, local and visiting chefs described each dish in detail as Rebecca shared with guests how she met and how long she has known of each one of them. It would be near impossible to choose a fave as each course was as enjoyable as the next. The guests interaction came to an all time high when the leftover sausage, served by Revival Market, was up for grabs. After a few rounds of bidding, the winning bid came in at $300. Given the size, we are sure the owner will enjoy it for days to come.
The featured chefs were:
• Andrew Vaserfirer, Head Butcher, Revival Market, Houston
• Antonio Gianola, Sommelier/Store Manager, Houston Wine Merchant
• David Gilbert, Chef/Owner, Tuk Tuk Tap Room, San Antonio
• Matt McCallister, Chef/Owner, FT33, Dallas
• Nathan Lemley, Chef de Cuisine, Parkside, Austin
• Philip Speer, Executive Pastry Chef, Uchi/St. Philippe, Austin/Houston
• Plinio Sandalino, Pastry Chef, The Carillon, Austin
• Randy Rucker, Indie Chef, Houston
• Rebecca Masson, Pastry Girl/Owner, Fluff Bake Bar, Houston
• Ricardo Guzman Venegas, Bartender, Triniti, Houston
• Ryan Lachaine, Chef de Cuisine, Reef, Houston
• Justin Turner, Chef/Owner, Bernie’s Burger Bus
Special cocktails were created featuring Reyka Vodka, along with wine pairings and beer from St. Arnold’s. In addition, a silent auction was held and items like a Uchi Cookbook and customized whiskey tasting at Reserve 101 were sold to the highest bidder.
When asked why all male chefs this time around, Rebecca replied, “The boys wanted their own event this time – how could I say no?!” Sounds good to us; all we were thinking at the end of the night was… Let’s hear it for the boys!!!