On a great weather evening in our city, since they are few and far between, many of us can’t wait to be out somewhere enjoying it. For those of us that are not inside the loop, CityCentre is our spot of choice! They have it all…food, drinks, shopping, and many evenings in the Spring and Summer, they offer live music. One of our favorite places to enjoy most out of the above is Straits Restaurant. We have a love-love relationship with this place, and can be found here many Friday nights during happy hour.
A few weeks ago we were invited to Chef John Sikhatanna’s special media evening and preview under the stars. The evening was called, “The Night Market”, and it was an opportunity to try their new house infused cocktails and a sampling of their authentic Singaporean street food from the summer menu. Each season they introduce an innovative menu creation from the kitchen and bar that continue to satisfy and please the palette. Here are a few of our favorites from the new menu:
- Singapore Rojak Salad (Jackfruit, Avocado and Spicy Tamarind Dressing) – This dish was smooth and creamy, sweet and crunchy, with a tangy zing as a back note.
- Wok Fired Chili Crab Claws (Fresh Crab Claws with house chili sauce) – This is a twist on the Singaporean favorite; chili crabs. These little claws pack a DELICIOUS and spicy taste with each bite. I think we went back for thirds.
- Sumatra Chicken & Corn Potato Fritters (with chili garlic sauce) – Unattractive visual: If cornbread and corn pudding had a baby and the baby had a chicken overbite; this would be the outcome. No, not very pretty, but the taste is out of this world!
- Lychee Martini (Grey Goose Vodka, Soho Lychee Liquor, Fresh Lychee, served up with a fresh lychee garnish) – This cocktail has become our go to cocktail when we crave something with a natural sweetness. Straits does not skimp on their lychee’s “garnish” that boasts an amazing 3:1 ratio of fruit to cocktail. Well, that’s our take.
- Bitter Sweet Martini (House made infused Honey Dew Vodka, Honey Dew Melons, Honey Water, and Sliced Jalapenos) – This martini screams summer with all its fresh ingredients. We got a sneak peek at this one back in March when we visited them to tape an Imbibe segment. Click here to check it out and learn how to make it at home.
With its fabulous cabana style patios, great happy hour specials, and Asian inspired cuisine, Straits is one of those “hard to miss” and “dare not to miss” places. Let us not forget to mention…Straits has one of the best bathrooms we have come across to date! Yes, we do notice crazy stuff like this. We hope you go and check out Straits, and tell ’em the Urban Swank Girls sent you!
* Urban Swank did receive a complimentary media tasting at Straits, however, the opinions are our own.