I LOVE Tex-Mex and that should come as no surprise living in Houston.
However, all Tex-Mex is not created equal so today I’m sharing my “must haves” for legit Tex-Mex cuisine along with a local favorite, Lupita’s Mexican Restaurant, who has been generously loved on every publication imaginable including the Houston Chronicle, Houston Press, and Thrillist. Lupita’s is a family run business that holds their recipes secret and where their rich charro beans and chunky salsa are made daily. My go-to dishes are the Cheese Enchiladas and the Queso Flameado. The more cheese the better!
When I’m craving Tex-Mex, there are a few things that are required. These are “must haves”, not “nice to haves, and have become kind of the norm when it comes to Tex-Mex for me. Some places try to skimp in these areas and they wonder why the tables are empty on a Saturday night!
- Not just good, but a great margarita, with the perfect balance of sweet and sour
- Handmade flour tortillas made by someone in the restaurant; not shipped from Timbuktu
- Cheese enchiladas that actually use real cheddar cheese and not that processed Velveeta stuff
- A creamy chile con queso dip with an option to drop in several mounds of beef fajita meat or chorizo
- Flavorful fajitas that come to your table sizzling with the proper sides of rice, onions, peppers, beans, and a warm and fresh stack of tortillas
I give bonus points for a slammin’ guacamole, preferably thin tortilla chips that seem most fitting for dipping, and a chimichanga on the menu.
There you have it, my list of must haves. If your list matches my list then a stop at Lupita’s Mexican Restaurant is definitely worth the drive to Sugar Land and if you live in the area like I do, you’ll quickly see why the locals have made this a weekly hangout.