Kick-off summer with the fun and refreshing classes offered at the Central Market Cooking School in June! Join our resident expert on a tour of the most popular varieties of grapes that provide us with some of the world’s most sought after wines at the “Wines for Father’s Day: An Ode to Dad” Wine Workshop. Discover something new as Chef Nicole Routhier shares delicious Gourmet Vietnamese recipes. Spend an evening learning more about the diverse cuisine of Mexico from Culinary & Cultural Expert and Cookbook Author, Elizabeth Escobedo, as she shows you where Tex-Mex got its start with dishes such as Squash Blossom Soup with Anejo Cheese, Shredded Beef Enchiladas in Guajillo-Ancho Red Sauce with Refried Black Beans, Mexican “Paletas” Ice Pops, and more!
JUNE COOKING CLASS HIGHLIGHTS:
Saturday, June 8, 2013 from 6:30-9 p.m., $65 per person
HANDS-ON. The season is upon us and freshness abounds. Our menu tonight highlights the fresh flavors of now! Join our chefs tonight and make this menu of:
- Lobster & Corn Fritters;
- Heirloom Tomato Salad with Anchovy Vinaigrette;
- Sage-Rubbed Pork Chops with Pickled Peach Relish; and,
- Buttermilk Cake with Blackberries.
Monday, June 10, 2013 from 6:30-7:30 p.m., $10 per person
DEMONSTRATION. Join our resident expert on a tour of the most popular varieties of grapes that provide us with some of the world’s most sought after wines. The selections will be from regions throughout the world that are highly respected for producing trademark wines. In addition to tasting the featured wines, you will also learn about what to look for when tasting wine, how the grapes are grown, techniques utilized in the winery and much more. You’ll sample:
- Kuleto Cabernet Napa
- Festivo Malbec
- Pianello Sparkling Sheeraz
- Zuccardi A Series Malbec
- Domaine Arnoux Pinot Noir
- Resso Tempranillo
Carol Pock, Cookbook Author
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 from 6:30-9 p.m., $60 per person
HANDS-ON. This menu is full of eye openers, no matter what time you wake up! Whether it’s a hurried weekday morning, a big family gathering or you just want something different for dinner, Carol will guide you as you learn to make:
- Cornflake-crusted French Toast with Chocolate Bananas & Raspberry Syrup;
- Asparagus, Bacon & Gruyere Mini-Frittatas;
- Praline Bread Pudding:
- BBQ Chicken Polenta & Fried Eggs; and
- Raspberry & Pomegranate Refreshers.
Shubhra Ramineni, Cookbook Author
Thursday, June 20, 2013 from 6:30-9 p.m., $60 per person
HANDS-ON. Shubhra will give you the confidence to make curries, and more, at home. Discover how easy it can be to get these delicious dishes on the table in no time (and she has thrown in a recipe from her new book, Healthy Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Easy Recipe for the Hurry Home Cook!). You’ll learn to make:
- Easy & Exotic Shrimp Curry;
- Yellow Summer Squash Curry;
- Potato & Pea Curry;
- Fragrant Basmati Rice with Cumin & Peas; and
- Spiced Yogurt Raita
Her cookbooks, Entice With Spice & Healthy Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Easy Recipe for the Hurry Home Cook, will be available for purchase during class.
Nicole Routhier, Chef & Author
Friday, June 21, 2013 from 6:30-9 p.m., $65 per person
HANDS-ON. Discover something new tonight as Nicole shares her favorite recipes for:
- Fresh Tuna Tartare with Lime & Crispy Shallots on Sesame Rice Crackers;
- Grilled Lemongrass-flavored Pork Chops;
- Spinach Salad with Pan-Fried Tofu;
- Tomato Rice; and
- Melon Parfait with Coconut Tapioca Sauce.
Elizabeth Escobedo, Culinary & Cultural Expert and Cookbook Author
Thursday, June 27, 2013 from 6:30-9 p.m., $60 per person
HANDS-ON. Spend an evening learning more about the diverse cuisine of Mexico from this expert. This is not your every day Tex-Mex but after learning about these recipes, you’ll see where Tex-Mex got it’s start. These traditional dishes have been updated, introducing a modern flavor. You’ll practice traditional techniques and Elizabeth will include information on the evolution of these dishes as you make:
- Hibiscus “Agua Fresca” with Ginger;
- Squash Blossom Soup with Anejo Cheese;
- Shredded Beef Enchiladas in Guajillo-Ancho Red Sauce with Refried Black Beans;
- Chayote Salad with Pickled Red Onions; and
- Mexican “Paletas” Ice Pops (Mango-Chile & Strawberry-Lime).
Information provided by Callie McCown of DANCIE PERUGINI WARE PUBLIC RELATIONS.