RA Sushi is proud to announce that it will host its first-ever “Foodies Show Heart” charity sushi-rolling competition one day prior to Valentine’s Day, Thursday, Feb. 13, 2014, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the RA Sushi Highland Village location (3908 Westheimer). The tasting event will pit six prominent, local culinary writers and bloggers against each other in a battle for a noble cause. The contestants will be paired with a RA Sushi chef to create and name their signature roll. The public will serve as the judging panel during the celebration, with each attendee receiving one token to vote on the best sushi roll. The champion’s dish will be added to RA Sushi’s menu for 30 days, and a portion of proceeds from the sale of that item will benefit the creator’s charity of choice.
The panel of contestants for the first-ever “Foodies Show Heart” includes:
• Farrah Akhtar, Community Manager for YELP, competing for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
• James Brock, Managing Editor for the Houston Press, competing on behalf of the Houston Food Bank, a non-profit organization that collects and distributes food to hunger relief charities.
• Jodie Eisenhardt, host of 92FM’s Living Large radio show, as well as contributor to Culture Map, 002 Magazine and My Table Magazine – competing on behalf of Unity For a Solution – a nonprofit organization dedicated to resolving the crisis of an estimated 1.2 million homeless animals on the streets of Houston.
• Greg Morago, Food Editor at the Houston Chronicle – competing on behalf of Goodfellow’s, Houston Chronicle’s toy program to help families during the holidays.
• Shanna Jones and Felice Sloan, Editors at Urban Swank blog – competing on behalf of Dress for Success Houston, a non-profit organization that provides interview suits, confidence boosts, and career development to low-income women.
• Carla Valencia, Managing Editor of 002 Magazine, competing on behalf of Casa de Esperanza, a non-profit organization that provides a safe place for children in crisis due to abuse, neglect or HIV/AIDS.
The celebration continues at RA Sushi in Highland Village with DJ spinning and special cocktail pricing on Valentine-themed libations, including the Love Potion martini ($7) and Cupids Kiss ($6.)
The event is free but RSVP to RSVP@studiocommunications.net is required and space is limited. For more information, please call 713.621.5800 or visit www.facebook.com/RASushiHouston.
Come out and join Urban Swank for a great cause!