With the exciting Brewniversity event taking place at Central Market in September, you will not want to miss the festive all-about-beer classes offered at the Cooking School this month! Join us for a Sip & Stroll around the store, and enjoy samples of beers, ales, and foods that pair beautifully with the selections. Spend an evening with cheese expert Janet Fletcher as she sets her sights on pairing artisanal cheeses with craftmade beers. On top of all the Brewniversity events, the cooking school is also excited to host classes by Einat Admony, Chef/Owner of Balaboosta & Taim restaurants in New York City, and A.W. “Skip” King, Executive Chef of The Oceanaire Seafood Room in Houston.
SEPTEMBER COOKING CLASS HIGHLIGHTS:
Thursday, September 12, 2013 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.; $10 per person
Central Market Experts
Celebrate the diversity of the world of beer by taking this opportunity to enjoy samples at over nine stations positioned throughout our store. As you stroll through the store, you’ll have the opportunity to discover new ways to enjoy your favorite beers and ales and sample foods that pair beautifully with the selections. Learn to make a quick vinaigrette with an India Pale Ale; sample brats with brown ale; pair a porter with chocolate; enjoy a shredded pork slider with a Hefenwizen; and more. You’ll learn about the process that creates these craft and micro brews, meet a brewmaster in our Beer & Wine Department, and increase your understanding of the art of pairing as you chat with our experts. We can promise a surprise around every corner so reserve your spot today.
Saturday, September 14, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.; $65 per person
Karbach Brewing Company; Russ Stephenson, CM Beer & Wine Manager; John Butler, CM Seafood Manager; CM Cooking School Staff
Central Market is teaming up with this hometown favorite for a seafood dinner that will be out of this world. Each of the six courses will pair a fresh seafood item with a Karbach beer, both in the dish and to drink with the dish. Russ, our Beer & Wine Manager will be available to talk about the pairing, while John, our Seafood Manager will be here to talk about the seafood used. Rounded out with Karbach talking about that fabulous beer of their’s. We’re keeping the beers a secret but our menu is:
- Mussels steamed in Beer;
- Beer Battered Fish with fresh Cole Slaw;
- Roasted Salmon, Beer Butter Sauce and Sauteed Spinach;
- Beer Marinated Shrimp Tacos;
- Spicy Seared Tuna over Scallion Sticky Rice with a Three Chile Vinaigrette; and
- Beer Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Monday, September 16, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; $10 per person
Central Market Beer & Wine Experts
Learn all about lagers, ales, pilsners and bocks. You’ll discover why an India Pale Ale (IPA) pairs so well with spicy foods, about the distinctive aromas of porters and the characteristics of an Oktoberfest brew. Our beer experts will reveal some wonders in the world of beer as you sample a selection of 5 brews from around the world that represent distinctive styles.
Wednesday, September 18, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.; $65 per person
Central Market Cooking School Staff
Learn how to incorporate beer into these recipes as you make them and pick up tips on pairing the perfect beer with each dish. Roll up your sleeves and get ready to make:
- Cheese-stuffed Jumbo Shrimp with Bacon served with a Farmhouse Ale;
- Jicama, Apple, Fennel, Sweet Pepper & Orange Salad with Hard Cider & Mint Vinaigrette served with an Apple Ale;
- Lamb Chops with Roasted Fennel & Portobello Mushroom Risotto served with American Porter; and
- Winter Warmer of Spiced Pumpkin & Cranberry Muffins served with Winter Strong Ale.
Thursday, September 19, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.; $50 per person
Janet Fletcher, Author/Co-author of more than 20 books on food and wine; Food Writer, including a weekly cheese column for the San Francisco Chronicle & numerous national consumer magazines, including Saveur, Bon Appétit, Better Homes & Gardens and Food & Wine; Culinary Instructor for cheese-appreciation and cooking classes
As a wine enthusiast and cheese expert, Janet Fletcher has spent many hours searching for the perfect pairings, but often felt that she had come up with less-than-perfect matches. Once she set her sights on pairing artisanal cheeses – or any cheese for that matter – with craftmade beers, her efforts met with much greater success. Spend an evening sampling a variety of cheeses made by small American companies from throughout the US paired with regional craft beers. You’ll discover why the pairings are plentiful and learn a little about the companies that produce these prized products.
- Saint Arnold’s Lawnmower with Mozzarella Company Mozzarella;
- North Coast Brewing Le Merle with Vermont Butter & Cheese Cremont;
- Green Flash Hop Head Red with Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Toma;
- Ommegang Abbey Ale with Spring Brook Farm Tarentaise;
- Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPAl with Cabot Clothbound Cheddar; and
- Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout with Point Reyes Bay Blue.
Friday, September 20, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.; $65 per person
Nicole Routhier, Chef & Author
Nicole is back and has a menu that celebrates the beer of Belgian. She’s incorporated it into every item on the menu (and we’ll drink a few too!) Our menu tonight is:
- Moules Frites (Beer-steamed Mussles and Fries);
- Supremes de Poulet a la Biere de Framboise (Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Raspberry Beer Sauce);
- Chicons a la Flamande (Caramelized Belgian Endives; and
- Gateau au Chocolat (Belgian Chocolate Lager Cake).
Monday, September 23, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.; $25 per person
Central Market Beer & Wine Experts
Learn all about lagers, ales, pilsners and bocks. You’ll discover why an India Pale Ale (IPA) pairs so well with spicy foods and about the distinctive aromas of porters. Our beer experts will reveal some wonders in the world of beer as you sample a selection of 5 brews from around the world that represent distinctive styles. Beers will be paired with light snacks.
Tuesday, September 24, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.; $65 per person
A.W. “Skip” King, Executive Chef, The Oceanair Seafood Room – Houston
Chef Skip is homegrown, born right here in Houston. He started his career at Ninfa’s, running food, working his way up to Front of the House Manger then later Kitchen Supervisor. He eventually joined The Houstonian Hotel as Assistant Executive Steward working alongside Executive Chef Jim Mills. He then went onto cook at Sambuca and found his way to The Oceanaire Seafood Room as Sous Chef in 2006. He then became Executive Chef in 2011. Tonight he’s here to share his expertise and knowledge as he assists you in creating this menu of:
- Lump Crab Cakes with Creole Mustard Sauce;
- Grilled Alaskan Halibut over Quinoa & Bulgur Wheat Salad with Tomato, Cucumber & Cilantro with Avocado Cream; and
- Dark Truffles & Rochers with Salted Caramel.
Thursday, September 26, 2013 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.; $60 per person
Einat Admony, Chef/Owner, Balaboosta & Taim restaurants, New York; Cookbook Author; Competitor (and winner) on Chopped and Throwdown with Bobby Flay
Enjoy an evening with a 21st century balaboosta (Yiddish for “perfect housewife”). This wife, mother and chef running three bustling New York City restaurants will introduce you to the recipes that she cooks for the people she loves. Her mixed Israeli heritage (Yemenite & Persian) blends with the fresh, sophisticated Mediterranean palate she honed while working in some of New York City’s most famous kitchens resulting in a melting pot of dishes for every occassion. As she demonstrates how to make these recipes, you’ll pick up tips from a pro. Menu includes:
- Chicken Littles with Garlic Aioli;
- Melon Gazpacho;
- Ceviche with Salmon;
- Crispy Cauliflower;
- Sinaya (Israeli Shepherd’s Pie with Eggplant, Tomatoes, Ground Lamb & Beef, topped by a layer of Tahini); and
- Malabi (Creamy Pudding) with Orange Brandy Sauce.
Information provided by Callie McCown, Dancie Perugini Ware Public Relations.