Continue celebrating the holiday season by learning how to spice up indulging holiday dishes that your family will enjoy at the Central Market Cooking School. This month starts off with Carrie Morey, THE biscuit expert, as she shares her secrets on how to make the best southern biscuits to share with family and friends. Journey to Spain for a Paella Party with Spanish chef Cris Lincoln and learn how to make three delicious paellas. We also have the pleasure of hosting the remarkable Anne Willan, author of 30+ cookbooks and founder of La Varenne Cooking School in Paris. She will instruct students on how to create exquisite French delicacies. Couples can also enjoy ringing in the new year with a romantic new year’s eve dinner for two.
DECEMBER COOKING CLASS HIGHLIGHTS:
Carrie Morey, Owner, Callie’s Charleston Biscuits; Cookbook Author
Monday, December 2 from 6:30-9 p.m., $55 per person
HANDS-ON. FEATURED CHEF. Growing up, Carrie Morey watched her mother, an acclaimed caterer, and her grandmother make Charleston-style biscuits from their family recipe, but she did not begin making them herself until she was in her 30’s. That was when she discovered her passion for baking. The founder – and chief biscuit maker – of her own company which distributes biscuits across the U.S. will introduce you to the art of making light and tender biscuits along with these family approved recipes that are perfect for your holiday table:
- Buttermilk Black Pepper Biscuits;
- Roasted Pimento Cheese Chicken;
- Roasted Bacon Brussels Sprouts; and
- A Cup a’ Cobbler.
Cris Lincoln, Chef, Instructor & Cookbook Author
Wednesday, December 4 from 6:30-9 p.m., $65 per person
HANDS-ON. Chris Lincoln is joining Central Market for a special Paella Party on Dec. 4. This Spanish chef, cooking instructor and prolific cookbook author in Spain has agreed to instruct us in the ways of Paella. She will help you prepare an authentic Paella as you learn to make:
- Traditional Paella Valenciana – Rice, Chicken, Sausage, Shrimp, Calamari, Mussels, Artichokes & Green Beans;
- Black Paella – Rice, Squid & Ink; and
- Rabbit Paella with different types of beans.
Anne Willan, Founder of La Varenne Cooking School; Author of over 30 Cookbooks
Friday, December 6 from 6:30-8:30 p.m., $70 per person
FEATURED CHEF. Many of the well-known and respected chefs, culinary instructors, food writers and magazine editors whose work you may enjoy today attended La Varenne Cooking School. You will be mesmerized by the story of the founder’s life: from her early years spent in the Yorkshire Dales, her world travels, time spent at The Washington Star and Gourmet magazine, to the establishment of La Varenne. Anne, an acknowledged expert on French cuisine, and Amy Friedman, who assisted with writing these memoirs, will guide you through her incredible career, discussing the food of the eras along the way. You will enjoy a quick demonstration by our staff of these recipes that Anne has included to highlight wonderful moments and great friends made along the way:
- Aunt Louie’s Warm Baked Parmesan Cheese Balls;
- Smoked Salmon Rillettes;
- Pojarskis (Individual Veal Loaves served with a Mushroom-Tomato Garnish);
- Coronation Chicken Elizabeth (Poached Chicken with Curried Mayonnaise & Tomato Salad);
- Treacle Tart; and
- Herb Ice Cream.
Carol Pock, Cookbook Author
Thursday, December 12 from 6:30-9 p.m., $65 per person
HANDS-ON. It is easy to get stuck in a rut when it comes to holiday meals and we yearn for something new and different, but risk our friends and family not enjoying a new dish. Carol Pock is back tonight with a menu that will bring flavor (and flair) to your holiday table. Let her guide you through this Holiday menu of:
- Stuffed Artichokes with Pear Lime Dipping Sauce;
- Beef Wellington with a Savory Bordelaise Sauce;
- Sesame Green Beans with Teriyaki Glaze;
- Warm Christmas Chicken Club Brunch Ring; and
- Baked Alaska.
Kathy Tauber, Owner Ez*Eatz!, Avid Foodie, Chef
Saturday, December 14 from 6:30-9 p.m., $120 per couple
HANDS-ON. Did someone say Duck, Duck, Goose? No, just duck! Duck is often overlooked this time of year but it’s the perfect protein to build your holiday dinner around. Practice the techniques needed to create these dishes that showcase the versatility and flavor of duck, all dressed up. You will make:
- Romaine Salad with Spiced Pecans, Gorgonzola & Roasted Garlic Dressing;
- Duck Stuffed with Chicken Liver, Candied Orange & Pears;
- Parsnip Puree with Brussels Sprout Leaves;
- Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Truffle Oil & Goat Cheese; and
- Figs in Vanilla Port.
Nicole Routhier, Chef; Cookbook Author
Friday, December 20 from 6:30-9 p.m., $65 per person
HANDS-ON. Nicole is back with this French feast that you’re sure to enjoy throughout the holidays. You will get expert guidance as you learn to make:
- Cream of Carrot Soup infused with Ginger;
- Roasted Cornish Hens with Glazed Apples & Chestnuts;
- Spiced Rice Pilaf;
- Asparagus & Sweet Red Peppers in Walnut Vinaigrette; and
- Chocolate Lava Cake with Brandied Caramel Sauce.
Central Market Cooking School Staff
Tuesday, December 31 from 6:30 – 9 p.m., $180 per couple
HANDS-ON. Kick off the new year in style! Working together, you will pick up tips and practice the techniques needed to create this special dinner for two:
- Kir Royales;
- Iceberg Wedge with Green Goddess Dressing;
- Filet Mignons with Wild Mushroom Sauce;
- Grilled Lobster Tails with Herb Butter;
- Potato Gratin Dauphinois;
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon; and
- Bananas Foster.