Oh how I wish I could enjoy afternoon tea time more often! The English tradition that started as a way to curb your appetite in between lunch and dinner is now a delightful experience that can be enjoyed for a special occasion or for any reason at all.
I recently enjoyed afternoon tea at Hotel Granduca and I was quite impressed. What began with a glass of Prosecco would end with a new found appreciation for the afternoon tea experience and high hopes of visiting again soon to enjoy another round of savory sandwiches, buttery scones, and bite-sized sweets.
After selecting your tea of choice with options including English Breakfast, Orange Jasmine, Green Tea Passion, Chamomile Citron, and Verbena Mint Orange, you are presented with your first course of sandwiches. Each perfectly constructed sandwich is unique with each bite offering something immensely satisfying. My first course consisted of sandwiches made with Cucumber & Goat Cheese, Lobster Salad & Caviar, Beef Carpaccio, Chicken Curry Salad & Caramelized Walnut, Quail Egg Salad & Asparagus Tip, Crab & Sweet and Spicy Mustard Sauce, and Smoked Salmon Tartar Puffs.
This was followed by a second course of warm scones (some of the best in the city) alongside a gracious serving of mascarpone cream and a third course of afternoon tea pastries and cakes. During each course, you have the option to select a different tea to enjoy or you can choose to stick with the same selection for all courses. Our waitress ensured our tea cups remained filled (and tea remained fresh and hot) throughout the entire experience. The service was A+.
If you are looking for a place in Houston to enjoy afternoon tea, then look no further than Hotel Granduca. Not only is the hotel absolutely stunning, but they do such a fantastic job creating the perfect backdrop for an intimate afternoon with family and/or friends. Tea time with the girls may just become a more frequent thing.
Here are a few more reasons Hotel Granduca is the perfect destination for afternoon tea…
1. Hotel Granduca adds a bit of Italian flair to your afternoon tea time where, for example, clotted cream is replaced with mascarpone cream – and did I mention the Prosecco?
2. You can enjoy tea time anywhere in the hotel including Ristorante Cavour, the pool area, Bar Malatesta, and even in your hotel room. You choose the place and they make it happen.
3. You can upgrade your tea time with Perrier-Jouët Nuit Blanche or Perrier-Jouët Belle Epoque. To be honest, The Granduca High Tea at $52 per person is perfect for anytime, but when you want to celebrate in the most grand way, there is nothing wrong with a little champagne. Feel free to adjust your tea time to enjoy as much or as little as you want. Abbreviated options are available when you choose to forgo the multi-course alternative.
4. The kiddos can join in too! The Granduca Bunny Tea menu offers several tasty treats for their younger guests. Options such as hot chocolate or cranberry cider are paired with crudités of celery sticks and peanut butter, mascarpone and nutella sandwiches, scones, and an assortment of pastries and cookies.
5. Although you are not required to dress up for tea time, it’s always fun to go all out in traditional attire of long dresses, gloves and hats. However, when you just want to enjoy afternoon tea in your pair of favorite jeans, you are more than welcome to come as you are.
Afternoon tea is served daily from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. throughout the hotel. Reservations are required so please contact the hotel at 713-418-1104 to schedule your experience.